Saturday, December 5, 2009

Is 27 years old too late to start a career in medicine (ie: Physician or PA)?

I am a career-minded 27 year old male. I have been interested in the medical field for a while now and was wondering if it was too late though (given my age) to think about a serious career in medicine. I don't have any medical background (nor does my family) and only hold (so far) a high school dimploma. I realize there is a lot of school (a whole lot) depending on what I wanted to do. I've been thinking of ways of putting my foot in the door (Like being a paramedic) of the medical field, though If I know I want to spend so much time getting something like an AAS for such a job if I know I wouldn't want to stay there. At 27 whatever schooling I take has to be 90% efficient for what I am going to want to do career wise because @ my age you have to start getting a move on. I thought about nursing, but I have 2nd thoughts given all the horror stories about politics, back stabbing, hours, pay, threats lawsuites @ places like AboutMyJob.com. Anyone have any good suggestions or ideas? =)



Is 27 years old too late to start a career in medicine (ie: Physician or PA)?lyric opera



I think you should go for what you like, if you wanna be a doctor, or a nurse or a paramedic, whatever it is, go for it. it's never too late. you're better off doing what you enjoy.



check www.collegeboard.com it might be useful for you when choosing where to study medicine.



good luck :)



Is 27 years old too late to start a career in medicine (ie: Physician or PA)?imax theater opera theater



No, I would think that an advanced level of maturity would be benificial is that profession.
Its never too late. You are young still! But, don't procrastinate - just go for it.
Absolutely not!! I am about to finish a degree in radiography at 37. I will not be a Dr. by any means of the imagination, but if you start school to become a Dr. within the next year you would still be younger than I am when you graduate!



I think you should do it!
Certainly go for it - BUT - if your're concerned about the hours, pay etc for nurses, I think you better re-think what a Dr does. After years of slogging it out at Uni (no pay), they then must do several years in a hospital working the most ridiculous hours known to man, then if they decide to go into GP there's more hospital work involved before actually getting out there. Then consider the costs involved in setting up or trying to get into an already established practice. You then have many legal aspects to consider - even if you're a Dr in a hospital. If you go to a Dr now and they don't start 'till 9.00 and finish at 5.00 - that's not their actual hours - they are out and about doing hospital visits, nursing homes, and home visits, long before and after their surgery hours. I work as a Medical Receptionist and know what hours are put in by GP's. Give me Nursing any day. Once qualified you don't have to stay in a hospital situation - you can move out into aged care, private GP's, child care, Correctional centres etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
noton